Saving Electricity on Blouberg Properties:
Environmental issues are becoming an ever increasing concern and while many of us are becoming more environmentally conscious, others are looking for ways of saving electricity on their Blouberg properties to save money.
We’ve listed a few tips to help you save electricity.
These tips will cost you nothing to implement in your Blouberg home:
- Switch off all the lights and plug points that aren’t being used. Even if it isn’t in use, it is still drawing a current.
- Difficult to do in this cold weather, but if you can, try avoiding the hot water tap wherever possible and wash your hands in cold water.
- Don’t leave taps running while you clean your teeth.
- Turn the water off while washing your hair or soaping yourself in the shower.
- Wash your clothes in cold water wherever possible. This is better for your clothes and saves lots of electricity, as up 85% of the electricity used by your washing machine goes to heating the water.
If you have a small budget to help you implement some electricity saving devices on properties, we recommend the following:
- Fit a geyser controller that checks the current and switches the geyser off during the optimum time.
- Replace your showerhead with a water-saving alternative.
- Consider changing your downlights to LEDs which only draw 10% of the energy that regular downlights do.
- Buy a clothes dryer that doesn’t use electricity.
- Invest in a geyser blanket for insulation but remember to have the hot water outlet pipe sheathed as well. A lot of heat loss occurs through this pipe.
For those of you with a large budget to spend on turning your Blouberg home into an environmentally-friendly one, we have the following suggestions:
- Fit a solar geyser.
- Install a heat pump.
- Have solar panels fitted to your roof to harness the sun’s power for electricity.
- Invest in a Grid Tie Inverter to convert the direct current from your solar panels into the current used in homes. Surplus power can then be sold back to the power supply company.